Friday, December 28, 2012

New post below. It sucks - and no, that's not a hint for compliments to tell me it's awesome. I wrote it on nyquil, so I can only hope that it makes sense. The Nyquil isn't totally to blame, I'm just at a point where I know where I want it to go, I just don't know how to get it there.

Post next week - I'm hoping Monday, but this cold just keeps getting worse, so we shall see.

Oh yeah, and someone asked about Cayden's eye appointment... He was referred to the eye doctor because the pedi noticed his pupils are two different sizes - which I've noticed before but I dunno, I just thought sometimes body parts are different sizes sometimes (it wasn't a HUGE difference.) I guess it's a sign of glaucoma, and she said she doubted it was it, but she wanted to have it looked at to be safe. He went in and at first they said that yes, they were two different sizes, but that it didn't mean anything (there's a big long name for it, but basically it's "they're two different sizes, it doesn't affect anything, and we don't know why it happens.) Then they dilated his eyes. She said his whole right eye is actually bigger than his left, and there are breaks in the cornea, which is usually due to trauma to the eye, or high pressure in the eye. The trauma can be a hit to the eye, or delivery by forceps, neither of which has happened to Cayden. However, they checked his eye pressure and it was fine. She said it was unlikely, but he could have had high pressure and it just fixed itself. She says it's more likely that he has issues regulating his eye pressure and they just caught him on a day where it's regulated. She's also worried that the vision in his right eye is a lot worse than in his left. The good news is that there's no damage to his optic nerve, the bad news is he has to wear eye patches for a couple of hours every day for four weeks over his left eye - they're trying to get him to rely on his right eye more to see if it strengthens his vision. We go back in four weeks to get retested and to also test his pressure again. I'm thinking she's worried it is glaucoma, which isn't great but at least it's better than I originally thought (I know nothing about glaucoma except old people get it, so I assumed he'd go blind.) I do need to send the pedi a thank you card though because I guess with glaucoma, 80% of cases in children are diagnosed by the time they're a year old, and it also said that older kids are usually not diagnosed until later stages because there are no real symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment