Friday, August 31, 2012

So this week was filled with screenings for Cayden because he starts preschool next week!

I know it's a total cliche - "where did the time go?" But... It's just so true. Where DID the time go? I felt like I was just waiting for the summer to start, and now it's nearly over and we're heading in to fall. I feel like I was just reading the positive pregnancy test with Cayden - almost throwing it away when I caught that second line and now he's almost four and going to pre-school!

It also never fails that whenever big events happen, I think about where we'll be next year. Next year might possibly mean kindergarten (though we are considering holding him back for a second year of preschool - he's not 4 until the end of September, so he'd be one of the younger kids going in.) And then after that he'll be in first grade! In two seconds I just aged my kid two years, but seriously... That's not that far away. I remember shopping for Cayden when he was a newborn and looking at the 3t/4t footie pajama's and how big they were and thinking "my kid is never going to be that big, he's so tiny right now." And here he is - bigger than those sizes.

For some reason though, the aging of Eli doesn't hit me as hard as Cayden's does. I don't know why - I think it's because no matter how big Eli gets, compared to Cayden he's still such a baby. Still, he'll be two here soon (three months from yesterday). Two years ago, I was super pregnant, getting ready for Cayden's second birthday. It really makes me feel like I should get on having another baby (our last.) But, in the same breath, I can't believe Cayden was this little and I thought it'd be a good idea to have another!

Anyway - we're getting ready to head in to what I like to call our "busy" season. This year it starts a little earlier than last year, because Cayden starts school next week. Then we have Cayden's birthday, then it's pumpkin patch season, then it's trick or treat, then it's my MIL's birthday, thanksgiving, and Eli's birthday, then Christmas, New Year's my Mom's birthday, and mine. There are breaks in between, obviously, but for some reason this is the time of year EVERY year that our schedule just gets packed with stuff.

We are keeping birthday's smaller this year - Cayden isn't having a party. We were going to take him to an overnight in one of those waterpark hotels, but then the more we talked about it, the more we realized that we should probably save that for when he's a little older (Cayden himself said "What if there are deep pools and I fall in one?" While I'm not really worried about that, it is a lot of money for Cayden to play in the kiddie area for an hour and be done.) I think now we're doing a lunch with the family and then a trip to build a bear.

Eli's not having a party either. I feel a little guilty about this (we did, after all, have a party for Cayden's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd birthdays, and Eli's only gotten a 1st birthday party. I know, I know, I'm stupid, but I have serious Mom guilt. Also, being the baby of the family, I got shafted and now am insane about keeping things "equal") However, we are going out of town for his birthday. Friends from Memphis are coming to Cinci, so we're going to drive down and meet them and take the boys to a train museum.

I'm trying to keep things smaller - my family and Jeremy's family goes insane with gifts and Cayden is starting to get really spoiled, so that needs to be nipped in the bud. Not to mention, they both get so many toys that they're everywhere and they don't play with half of it - it's just wasteful. All a party does is make people feel like they have to get him more stuff. I just am weird about that kind of stuff - I feel like I have to do it, and i know that's ridiculous, but I suffer from the most random bouts of Mom guilt. I realize that I'm lucky, in a sense, to be feeling guilty over such a small, insignificant thing, but I still feel guilty.

Anyway, that's my mindless rambling about stuff that doesn't matter :-) We took the boys to Ohio Village yesterday (an old timey- village) and here are a couple pictures.

Photobucket
Don't mind Cayden, who never looks at the camera, or Eli's wild hair which I will probably never cut (he looks less girly when I actually 'do' it)

Photobucket
Eli on stilts. Cayden refused to stand on them, because he is his mother's child and is a big scaredy cat, lol

Photobucket
Cayden next to a stuffed Tiger (Tigers are currently his favorite animal) Again, not really looking at the camera - he's so camera shy lately that I take what I can get

No comments:

Post a Comment