Monday, September 10, 2012

Stood up

I was surprised – and embarrassed – when I woke up the next morning to John softly calling my name.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry.” I said, shooting up. “I totally passed out on you.”
“It’s OK, you were tired. I ended up falling asleep too. I didn’t want to wake you, but I have to go, I’m late for work. I didn’t want to just run out on you and I wasn’t sure if you’d have time to check my texts.” He said with a wink.
“Well, if every time I don’t respond to a text you’re going to come over and cook me dinner, then I may never reply to any texts again.” I said, smiling.
“I knew I set the bar too high.” He said. “But seriously, text me later. And I hope today is better than yesterday.”
“Thanks.” I said, leaning up to give him a hug. “Still on for Friday?”
“Of course. See you then.” He said, and with a little wave he walked out of my room.

I lay in bed for a moment, processing everything. Then I threw back the blankets and got out of bed myself. I felt much more refreshed, but I knew I needed to get going. Today was probably going to be yesterday’s twin.

I padded out to go to the bathroom, but stopped when I saw Sunny sitting at the bar where I had sat last night, cup of coffee in front of her.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, surprised.
“What was John doing here?” She asked, looking up and smirking at me.
“You first.” I said, plopping down next to her.
She sighed. “I think your story is probably more fun than mine. Noah and I got into it again. I left and came home. I was waiting here to talk to you about it when Mr. John came strolling out.”
“You didn’t say anything to him, did you?”
“Good morning. Was that allowed?” She answered, a little bite to her sarcasm.
“Sorry Sun. It’s just… We’re just friends. He came over last night randomly because I didn’t answer his texts yesterday because we were so swamped. He thought I was mad. He saw I was tired, made me dinner, then we went in to watch a movie and we both fell asleep. I know you want us to be together but I think all we’re going to be is friends.”
“You think he came all the way over here because he has just friendly feelings for you?”
I sighed, and finally decided to cave. “I don’t know. You know me, I suck at these sort of things. But I mean, he didn’t kiss me. And if I thought I had offended you and couldn’t get a hold of you, I would have stopped by to check too.”
“Yes, and I would have as well, but we’re girls. Guys operate differently than we do. If he was friends and thought he offended you, as a guy he would have tried to contact you, and then when he didn’t reach you, let it go. That’s what guys do. They ignore problems, it’s like, in their DNA. However, when they like you they put in far more effort. Not to mention, I guess I could maybe see you guys being just friends if he had just stopped by. But he stopped by, made you dinner, and then slept here.”
“He said he fell asleep.”
“And he might have, but I highly doubt he fell asleep at the same exact time you did. Which means he stayed even though you were asleep. He wanted to stay here.”
“I don’t know Sunny.” I hesitated.
“I know you don’t. But I do. I’m not saying it’s love or anything yet, Lanie. But it’s definitely the start of like-like.”
“Like-like?” I said, laughing. “What is that?”
“Oh shut up. You know what I mean.” She said, swatting at me.
“I know, but you sounded about twelve. So what’d you and Noah fight about?”
She sighed again. “Same stuff I told you about. He’s just so distant. Distracted, and snappy. So I told him there was no point in me being there and came home. I think I’m just going to avoid him for a few days.” She twirled her coffee cup in her hands for a moment. “Mom’s convinced he’s going to propose. She’s crazy – he’s not acting like a man who’s so in love he wants to get married. He’s acting like he wants to break up.”

I had to work at hiding my smile. Of course Sunny’s Mom knew about the proposal. Noah, in an attempt to make things old school, had asked for her parent’s permission first. I know other people would think that by mentioning it to Sunny, her Mom was trying to sabotage the proposal, but that wasn’t the case. It just demonstrated how well Susan (Sunny’s Mom) knew her daughter. Sunny was pretty much an only child. She had had an older brother who Sunny’s Mom had had very young (and with a different man than her father), but his relationship with her parents was rocky. He had left one night when Sunny was about five, saying goodbye only to Sunny, and they hadn’t seen or heard from him since. Sunny’s Mom was torn up about it, felt extremely guilty that she just couldn’t connect with her son, couldn’t “fix” him, and for a little bit went a little crazy trying to find him (understandably so). When she realized her search was coming up empty and that she was neglecting the daughter she still had and her husband, she eased up a bit (though she still searches for him, it’s not to the extent that she once did.) Desperate not to make the same mistake twice, she really worked on hers and Sunny’s relationship, and they were close. However, even though she’d never admit it, I think Sunny resented just a tiny bit that she didn’t have the typical, volatile Mother-daughter relationship that so many of her friends have. She’d make it a point to do the opposite of whatever her Mother’s advice was. It wasn’t hard to see this pattern emerging, so of course Susan had caught on quickly and she always advised Sunny in the opposite of what she thought she should really do – in this case, she didn’t want Sunny to find out Noah was going to propose, so she put it out in the open.

“What do you think, Mel?” She asked, looking up at me. I hadn’t realized she had been talking, and now she was looking up at me, expectantly.
“I’ve never been in this position before, Sun, and I’m sure if I was I would feel hurt and scared and angry like you do. But, as an outsider and one who knows Noah well, I think it’s just a phase. You know how he internalizes everything. Something probably happened at work or with one of his friends and he’s taking it out on you because you’re the safe one. I’d give him some space. He’ll realize he’s pissed you off and apologize and let you know what’s going on.”
“Maybe I should skip our trip on Sunday.” She said, biting a nail.
“NO!” I said, a little too quickly. She looked up at me, confused. “If you skip it, then I’ll have no reason to go. And I want to see John.” I covered, quickly.
She smiled. “I’m happy you finally found someone, Mel. Let’s just hope my relationship doesn’t fizzle while yours is starting. I’m going to go shower. Wanna ride to work together?”
I nodded, and watched her go. As soon as I was sure she was safe in the shower, I picked up the phone and dialed Noah.

“Hello?” He answered. “I can’t talk, class starts soon.”
“You need to cool it, buster. Sunny thinks you’re going to break up with her, and she might try to beat you to the punch if you aren’t careful.”
He sighed. “I know. I know. I’m spacey and then she asks me about it and I don’t know what to say so I just snap at her. I don’t mean it, but all I can think about is the proposal and not letting things slip before Sunday.”
“Well, I advised that she give you some space. Send her flowers with an apology – and before you ever complain, yes this warrants flowers. Then, when she calls to thank you, tell her you’re having some stresses at work and to maybe give you some space until Sunday because you don’t want to take it out on her.”
“What kind of stresses?” He asked.
“I don’t know. Tell her you’re butting heads with the principal – he wants you to reworks some lesson plans or something. Nothing major though because then she’ll worry you’re going to get fired. I have to go, if I’m not in the shower when she gets out, she’ll know somethings up.”
“Thanks Mel. Bye.”
I shook my head while heading to my bathroom – already I had started my morning dealing with crises.

The day was a repeat of yesterday. The bakery was still closed for clean up, so we had their overflow again, but at least this time we were prepared (I had called Rachel to make up extra muffins, which were a hit.) People were still coming in and applying as well, and their dress code hadn’t gotten any better. It was stressful, but I found I was in a much better mood that I was the day before (helped by the string of texts John and I sent back and forth.) Sunny’s mood also improved once she got the flowers and explanation from Noah.

I maintained my good mood until Friday, when I cheerfully told Sunny that I had a doctor’s appointment and left early, and drove myself to John’s house, where we had agreed to meet. He wasn’t there yet, which was no big deal. He was coming from work, so maybe he got caught up. I sent him a quick text to let him now I was here, and then went to shoot off some quick emails.

I glanced at the clock on my dash – ten minutes had gone by. No John. No return text. I drummed my fingers on the dash and tried to decide if I should send him another text or if that would seem pushy. I postpone. He should be here any minute, right?

….An hour later, I gave up on texting and tried to call. Voicemail. Was he OK? Was there an accident? I could totally understand getting stuck at work, but he couldn’t send me a text to let me know?

Still, I waited. Waited longer than I cared to admit. I was just about to pull off when another car pulled in front of me. I glanced, noticing that it wasn’t John’s, but then on a second take, I saw that John was in the car. Next to what looked to be a gorgeous brunette.

The first thought I had was to blow the horn and give them both the bird as I pulled away, but I realized that that was probably a little over dramatic (but would have felt good, especially after being kept waiting as long as I had been.) I ended up going with my next plan. I waited (and watched, though that sounds slightly creepy) as John talked to the girl – him laughing, her tossing her hair – until he got out and waved as she drove away. Then I beeped the horn, watched him jump, and turn to face me, a look of surprise on his face.

“Mel!” He yelled, slapping his forehead as I rolled down the window. “I’m so sorry! I got caught up in a meeting and totally spaced, and then my car wouldn’t start so…”

7 comments:

  1. Is her name lanie or Mel? Because the blog says her name is Lanie but then the last half of this post her name is Mel.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe her name is Melanie....so she could be 'Mel' to some people and 'Lanie' to others depending on their relationship to her.

    Another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on, John. Don't pull this crap. You didn't check your phone the whole time? There better be a logical explanation. I hope Lanie sticks around to hear it. mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwee boo! He better have a good explanation!! =[[ I was starting to like him but nice save with Noah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it says that she actually had a conversation with him on Friday through talking or texting...I'm hoping the good explanation is that he COULDN'T check his phone because it is inside his house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There has to be some drama before they get together. That is the build up of many functioning relationships. lol Hope it's a good explanation. Oh I forgot to text or call you back because I met another girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there! Have you ever dealt a position when a person has robbed you online and took any of your personal ideas? Waiting forward to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete