Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It's my party

Time went on in what seemed to be slow motion. I felt like I was in a fog, able to only focus on the task before me, not really sensing anything going on outside. Another week passed, and I showed up to work one morning to find a cupcake on my desk. "What's this?" I asked Sunny, who had actually beaten me to work for a change.

"Do you really not know?" She asked, shaking her head. "Happy birthday Melanie."

I glanced at the calendar, confused. Sure enough...

"Well thank you." I said, setting down my bag and moving the cupcake off to the side of my desk.

"We're going out tonight." Sunny said, matter-of-factly. I opened my mouth to protest, but she quickly cut me off. "Don't even bother. This has been in the works as a surprise for awhile, you can't say no. I'm worried about you and if you don't want me to be, you'll come out with us tonight."

I hesitated for a moment, but then thought of my alternative evening - going home to play candy crush on facebook and watching more reality television, while getting harassed by Sunny via text.

"Fine. What time?"

"We'll leave from here to go to your place to get ready. And dont ask me what we're doing, it's a surprise."

Sunny helped me get ready, but this time I didn't let her pick my outfit. I took her guidance since I didn't know where we were going, but I settled on my cowboy boots, a pair of dark jeans, a pink sparkly tank top with a black sweater overtop. Sunny nodded her approval and before left, ran back to her room to and returned with her cowboy hat. She plopped it on my head. I rolled my eyes but kept the hat on as we headed out. We drove out of our small town toward the city, and I knew we had to be going to a bar, that was really the only reason to leave our town. Sure enough, about a half hour later we pulled into a parking garage.

"Can you tell me where we're going now?" I asked, but Sunny just shook her head.

"Five minute walk and we'll be there." She said.

We walked down an alley and stopped in front of a door. The sign above the bar said 'Howling at the moon.' We were at a piano bar.

"Don't give me that look. It's not karaoke. There will be singers, you can sing along, dance, get drunk. Blow off some steam Mellie. It's your birthday."

"You're buying the drinks." I said, and in we went.

A small group of people were already there - Matt had showed, which surprised me, and of course Noah was there. Nina, who was a new hire at the pizza shop was there. Lindsay and Laura, two girls we went to high school with were also there. I didn't mind the smaller crowd, but it did make me a little depressed. I did have a lot of friends, but most of those people had left town and I was now only facebook friends with them. Maybe it was a part of growing up, I don't know, but it made me sad to realize that had I thrown my own party, I wouldnt have even thought to invite Nina, Lindsay or Laura.

Despite being bummed, the music started going and who can't resist singing along to Friends In Low Places? Pretty soon I was really into it, dancing with the girls and even with Matt a little. It helped that I was about four drinks in at this point. I was starting to be glad I did come out, and that's when I saw Sunny's face had turned white and her mouth had dropped open. I turned to follow her gaze and felt my own mouth fall open.

"I invited him when I planned this - when you two were together, I didn't think he'd..." She trailed off.

"Hi." John said, standing in front of me. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks." I said back. We stood, looking at each other awkwardly for a moment.

"Can I buy you a birthday drink?" He asked, leaning close so he could be heard over the loud music.

I nodded - I wasn't sure what else to do, and I knew John would walk away to the bar. When he did, I walked back up the stairs and outside. My ears were ringing from the sudden lack of noise, and I was wearing no coat which got some strange looks from the people who were outside smoking. I expected a few minutes of peace before Sunny followed me, so I was again surprised when two seconds later, it was John who came out.

"I saw you run. I shouldn't have come." He said, leaning against the wall next to me.

"I'm just confused as to why you did?" I said, rubbing my forehead to ease the tension that was starting to form behind my eyes.

"I missed you." He said simply. "I've been wanting to call, but I didn't know what to say. I remembered Sunny mentioning this and I just thought... Well I guess I figured you couldn't hang up on me if I ambushed you."

"I missed you too." I admitted to the ground.

"Really?" He said, moving closer to me.

"Well yeah. Ending things wasn't exactly my idea." I said, looking up at him.

He took my face in his hands. "Is it OK if I...?" He asked. I couldn't answer, so I just nodded, and he kissed me.

I felt my heart explode - this was what I had hoped would happen, and while it took some time and a little bit of pain to get there, I was there. We could go to Sunny's wedding together! I would no longer have to dread my best friends wedding anymore! I wrapped my arms around John's neck and deepened the kiss. Best birthday ever!

"Lanie..." John said as he broke the kiss, his breath ragged. "Are you sure you're OK with this?"

"OK? This is what I wanted! I'm so happy right now." I said, laughing. "Why wouldn't I be OK?"

"Because I'm still seeing Hailey?" John said.

My heart exploded again, but this time it didn't feel good.

"Seriously John? What the fuck?" I asked, pushing him away.

"I was honest with you Melanie."

"And I was honest with you. My position hasn't changed. You shouldn't have come." I said, turning my back on him to walk back inside. He grabbed my shoulder and turned me around.

"Don't walk away! Can't we discuss this?" His eyes were soft, his voice pleading. I almost broke.

"What is there to discuss? You want what you want, and it's not what I want. If you want to be with me so badly, then be with me and JUST me, and if you can't do that..." I trailed off.

He was quiet for a moment, and I almost got hopeful, but I checked my feelings - I had been let down so many times before.

"Can we at least be friends?" He asked quietly.

I shook my head. "Not right now. Maybe after some time, but. I love you John. I can't be around you and not be with you." It was the first time I had admitted that I loved him. I wasn't sure I should have said it, but I also knew that if I didn't, I'd always wonder if it would have changed anything.

John just nodded, and without saying anything else, turned to walk away. I should have gone inside as well, I was cold and I knew my friends were waiting to see what happened, but I just couldn't face the noise and the good times right now. I wanted to go home.

As if on cue, Matt exited the building just then, and seeing me, he instantly shrugged off his jacket and put it around my shoulders. It swamped me, but it was so warm, so I tucked myself into it.

"John leave?" He asked.

I nodded.

"You OK?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"I'm leaving, I have an early start tomorrow. Do you want a lift home?"

I nodded again, and then cleared my throat. "Can you text Sunny and let her know? I don't want to go back in there right now.

Matt nodded and pulled his phone out of his back pocket. He shot off the text, stuck the phone in his back pocket, and to my surprise, wrapped an arm around me. I leaned into his side, not realizing how much I needed the support, and it was then that I finally let myself cry.

"Oh Melanie, don't do that." Matt said, wrapping another arm around me.

"It's my party Matt. I'll cry if I want too."

We stood like that for a long moment, me crying into Matt's shirt, him hugging me, me being too sad to be embarassed like I should have been. Then I pulled myself together, pulled back, and wiped my eyes.

"I'm sorry. I just don't understand. I mean I knew it was going to happen, everyone told me it would, and I knew it would end like this, but I just don't get why it has to end like this."

Matt nodded and started walking, and I followed him quietly to his car. We got inside and he started the car, and then sat for a moment. Finally he turned to me.

"Nobody can tell you why things happen. Don't spend too much time on wondering why, because you'll never really know. Some people will tell you that everything happens for a reason. I don't know if I believe that or not. What I do know is that everything happens the way it happens, and you can't change it after the fact, so it's not worth worrying about. Be sad if you need to be sad, but don't beat yourself up, and don't dwell over the past because it won't do any good. You'll be alright. Take it one day at a time."

He then put the car in reverse, paid the garage attendent, and drove me home.

14 comments:

  1. I want to drive a truck over John. Matt is awesome. I can't wait till he and Lanie get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. That was harsh. Did I miss something or is this the first time we find out that the other girl was? I was thinking it was either the girl from the New Years party or the coworker, and apparently it's the girl from the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - read the last post, or two posts back, in there it'll say that he went out one night 'as friends' or 'so he thought' but it became 'more than friends' blah..blah..blah...more John BS.

      Delete
  3. I always cry damit! lol

    Good thing I dont read while in front of other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH ;) just remembered a question I had. It says Matt works with the kids still, I was under the impression from the last book/story it closed. I am asking to get where in the timeline this story might take place, as in is Matt still living with her? Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen - in my mind (and the way I tried to write it, but sometimes I confuse myself so it may not have come across very clear, lol) the agency Matt and Ella worked for closed. Matt left and went back to the agency he worked for before he came to Ella's agency. So he doesn't live with Ella anymore, or even in the same state. However, Matt hasn't discussed Ella pretty much at all in THIS story line yet.

    Does that clear things up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S I'm working on an additional post that should be up by Friday or Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!, Thanks so much. I was just trying to place what was going on in his life. :) Thanks for getting back to me. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK...I have been Team John this whole time. Making excuses for him, blah, blah, blah, but this was just the final straw. How could he think that she would be OK with the situation as is. Is he that freaking dense? I didn't like Matt back when he was with Ella and didn't want to give him a chance with Lanie. But I'm starting to warm up to him a bit. I'm glad she expressed all her feelings to John. I agree she'd always be wondering if it would have made a difference. mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked Matt FOR Ella, but always thought he was a good guy. However, I always felt Drew was the BETTER guy for Ella than Matt was, which is why I liked Matt being in this story. I'm hoping now he can find the girl that's perfect for him...and well at this point, I'm hoping that girl is Lanie. :)

      Delete
  9. So much better to stay completely away from guys like John; they don't know what they want, hardly ever care (enough) about anyone else's feelings besides their own, and rarely get their heads on straight enough to have a lasting, happy relationship with 1 special woman. Better that Lanie gets out right now, before it gets even worse for her. Now, in swoops Matt (wishful thinking). Great post.

    p.s. - really happy things are looking up regarding Cayden's eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. He showed up at her freaking BIRTHDAY!! Because he knew she probably wouldn't want to see him. Who does that? I'll tell you who, a guy with his head so far up his own butt he couldn't treat another person with courtesy and respect if he had a step by step instruction manual.

      Delete
  10. At least John wasn't stupid enough to bring Hailey as his date to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just don't know. Like mum I was on team John but now I am on Team Lanie. I love Matt not for Ella but I'm still not sure for Lanie either. I just don't want to see him on another love triangle.I think John is too selfish or too scared to grow up and be a man and if that is the case he should tell her that he is scared of commitment.I think he needs to apologize to Lanie for wasting her time.

    ReplyDelete