Monday, January 28, 2013

Good thoughts, please.

I'm trying to make this quick, because it's 3 am and I'd like to go to bed, but I was wondering if you all could send out some positive thoughts for Cayden tomorrow morning? I can't remember if I talked about it here or not, but a few months ago we took Cayden in for an ear infection and the doctor noticed that one of his pupils seemed to be bigger than the other. I had noticed it too before, but didn't ever thing to ask about it(I just figured one was bigger than the other and it was just how he was made.) She said that she thought it was no big deal but sent us to the eye doctor to get checked out just to be on the safe side. At first the doctor thought exactly what I thought - that one pupil just happened to be bigger for no reason (they had a name for it, I dunno what it is now, a big fancy medical name.)

Anyway, long story short, they dilated his eye and it turns out one whole eye is bigger than the other. Turns out, again, this sometimes just happens and it's not a big deal, but there are a couple things that cause her to be concerned. One, the vision on the bigger eye is a lot weaker than the one in the "normal" eye. Two, there are breaks in his cornea, which is associated with trauma to the eye (which he's never had), a forceps assisted birth (again, didn't happen), or high pressure in the eye (basically, glaucoma.) His pressure that day was fine, and she said he could have just had high pressure at one time and his body fixed it BUT that wasn't likely - she's concerned that his eye is having issues regulating pressure and we just happened to catch him on a low pressure day.

 photo eyepatch_zpscf90c0e2.jpg

She told us he has to wear an eye patch for a few hours a day (pictured here, isn't he the cutest pirate ever? Funny story though, I was trying to be nice and wear a patch in solidarity to make him feel better. While on, it itched and itched and I was like 'man, poor kid, these suck! How can he be sitting there and not messing with his constantly?' Then I go and take mine off - turns out I'm allergic to the adhesive and end up with this awesome looking rash around my eye. So much for solidarity!)

The eye patch goes over the good eye, causing him to rely on the weak eye to hopefully make it stronger. However, we go back tomorrow to re-check his pressure and his vision. SO basically, my whole point of writing this super long 3am post is to ask that you keep him in your thoughts. I know at some point he'll be in glasses, and if that's the outcome of all this, I'm good, but I really hope he doesn't have glaucoma. I don't know a ton about it, but from what I've read it's treatable but may require surgery and I really don't want him to have to go through that.

9 comments:

  1. Lots of good thoughts being sent your way from Oklahoma!! He is such an adorable little guy and looks like he's a little trooper. I hope you get great news today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending positive thoughts your way about your cute little pirate-munchkin. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tons of good thoughts for Cayden!!! That picture is adorable! I hope the news is good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got it. Sending prayers for that sweet little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers for your adorable pirate! Also, I hope your allergic reaction is healing, those are no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my son had to wear a patch & had glasses for years. They said his eye would never ever heal on it's own & while he doesn't have the peripheral vision in that eye he doesn't wear glasses now so it can happen. hope he got better

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys! He saw a new doctor this time, and his pressure was good, so now she's saying that his one eye is bigger than the other, and it grew too big, which caused the breaks in his cornea. She said that his eye should be done growing - but we have to go back in three months to get it measured and make sure it is done growing (I'm not sure what happens if it's not done growing.) The best news is that his vision has improved, so the patching is working, and while he still has to wear it, his time in it has been cut in half, an they are helping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's terrific news! What a relief, huh?

    ReplyDelete